Our proudest achievement, apart from our thriving kids, is our classroom in Diepsloot which was built out of 16,000 Ecobricks in 2020. We are now building an Ecobrick Centre which will have 3 additional classrooms and other facilities.
Ecobricks are 2L plastic bottles that are filled (ideally) with non-recyclable plastic. They are then used as bricks with cement to build different structures, from benches to buildings.
They are not flammable and are an answer to the plastic pollution in our townships. They are also insulated and keep structures much cooler than traditional zinc buildings (or shacks).
About our Ecobrick Classroom
- Built using over 16,000 Ecobricks, 4,000 alone for the foundation
- It is 45m²
- It comfortably seats 20 students
- It is a much more comfortable and cooler environment than our zinc classroom
Additionally, our program employs women in and around Diepsloot each weekend to make and complete Ecobricks.
Our 2022 vision is to build an entire Ecobrick Centre! This is already underway and the foundations have been laid. Outline:
- It will be a larger building with 3 classrooms, bathrooms and other facilities (library and/or charity shop)
- We estimate it needs over 70,000 Ecobricks and will be 168m²
- It will also be solar powered with mobile Internet for online classes
For more info or to get involved, contact:
Donate to this Cause
Donations go towards building materials (like cement) and labour costs. We also accept donations of Ecobricks, plastic and 2L bottles.
Please consider setting up a small monthly debit order, or making a once-off donation to:
Reference: Ecocentre + [your name (optional)]